Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default recommendations for electronics how to

In article ,
"Doug" wrote:

Ok, maybe this is a loaded question and because I can't articulate
just how much or little (probably more accurate) I know about
electronics, what's a good book to learn for a beginner? I want to
learn so I understand how to use my future dmm better.

Get a D-cell battery, a toggle switch, and a flashlight bulb. Mount them
on a cardboard box and wire them appropriately, with the wiring behind
the cardboard where you can't see it. Now measure voltages at various
places with the light on and with it off. Once you understand that, have
a friend disconnect a random connection point, and then you troubleshoot
the circuit using your DMM, checking voltages and continuity at
appropriate places.

Once you understand why there is voltage across a working switch when
the light it off, and no voltage across it when the light is on, and a
few other corollaries, you'll know more about troubleshooting electric
problems than 99% of a.h.r. folk. Then you might be ready to start
learning electronics. The first step of that is to use two flashlight
bulbs in series and then in parallel, and repeat tests until you
understand the test results.

When you're done with all that, then you can seek out a book. Like
flying or sailing or cooking or screwing, troubleshooting skill comes
from experience, not reading.