Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill[_42_] Bill[_42_] is offline

Default old cedar - bowl

In iernet.net, tom
id wrote:

Overall I am happy with the project, but am now wondering about what is
usually done to the wood when it is so soft, to prevent the kinds of surface
flaws I got in the end grain. I am thinking that spalted wood projects *must*
use something to hold the wood together under the stresses of spinning and
cutting and sanding. What?

I've used thin CA glue, but make sure you have good ventilation, as it
can give off nasty fumes.

as above - just buy a quart or two of CA glue and slather it on once you
are close to the shape you want - the proteins in the rot seem to
catalize the CA so it will fume and sputter, so apply it outside. I
really like the look of the rotten wood.