Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Elmer's Wood Glue Max

On 1/10/2012 2:00 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Ok, I was thinking (in the article that I read) that III beat out II in
strength, but I could be turned around. It wouldn't be the first time. :-)

Well, I didn't go look up the FWW article, but my recollection was that
II beat III in their testing. Again, it's possible my recollection is
flawed...

OK, let's see what Titebond themselves says...

Hmmm....there's the question and the anomaly resolved methinks...

They publish that

TBII 3750 psi 72% wood failure
TBIII 4000 psi 57% wood failure

in the physical properties section.

The FWW test was exclusively a breakage test iirc. The anomaly in the
above data is that they claim a (marginally) higher strength for the
joint but there's a significantly higher fraction of failures of the
joint over the surrounding wood w/ II vis a vis II.

Explain that!