Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Elmer's Wood Glue Max

On 1/10/2012 12:48 PM, wrote:
Check out that link above. It seems that TB3 is not as strong as
TB2. I have read that in other venues, and even seen other tests that
seem to suggest that. I can't remember how long ago that was, and it
is entirely possible that the Titebond family has changed formulas.
That being said, I have never had a Titebond adhesive joint fail
regardless of the numeric designation.

Isn't that contrary to another test done by Fine Woodworking (I think)? I'm
pretty sure I read in a mag somewhere that III beat II in several categories
(but not all), but I didn't get the impression that out and out strength was
one of them. Oh well, for what I'm doing they're both probably so strong that
any difference doesn't make any... difference.

I started off with a fresh quart of Titebond III on my current rocking chair
project
(
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...371101.740...),
and this thing has gobbled up a LOT of glue because both the rockers and the
back braces are laminated, so I'm just about out of this batch.

Hey... not good! I love looking at your chairs and the link doesn't
work. ; (

No worky, eh? Ok, try this one:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...l =3610d3345d

I've made quite a bit of progress since these pictures were posted; I need to
catch my photo album up to speed. The chair is all together now, and all that
needs to be done is final shaping, sanding, and finishing.

I haven't seen any of your work in a while. All I am doing these days
is repair work, so I live vicariously through you, Karl, Leon, and a
couple of others.

(As a sidebar, I got to see Leon's new pantry/buffet over the
Christmas holidays. WOW.... the man is an artist. Literally,
gorgeous work. Didn't see anything new from Karl as he had already
installed the giant desk he built earlier in the month. Saw the
pictures, though. Most impressive. And then when you see the shop he
built it in... he had to go out one shop door and walk around the
building to get to the other side of the desk!)

Yeah, I can't keep up with either of those boys, especially Leon! He makes
beautiful stuff, and he does it ten times faster than I could ever do. I'm
too... (what's the word -MIKE-?)... "anal"? :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/