Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Elmer's Wood Glue Max

On 1/10/2012 1:38 AM, wrote:
i have used a lot of it. When they first started carrying it, the
price difference was even larger, so I used it on some glue lam beams
that were site built. (LOTS of glue, LOTS of mess, 100 clamps...)

It saved me a bunch of money when the price difference on a gallon was
something like $15. Locally, (YMMV) a gallon is still about that much
different when comparing the two. Since it has been out a while, the
price has closed, especially on the smaller bottles. A look this
afternoon revealed $2 a bottle difference in the 16 oz package.
Honestly, I can't tell any difference between performance.

Thanks Robert; it's always good to hear your perspective! :-)

I don't take on very many projects and I'm a pretty slow and methodical worker,
so I don't buy glue in very large quantities. I bought a gallon of TBII once,
but it went bad before I could get it all used up, and these days I usually buy
quarts. I've been using Titebond III for most everything I do, not because
it's waterproof (I really couldn't care less about that), but because I like
the texture, the color, and the slightly longer open time, and in my experience
it seems as strong or stronger than Titebond II. However, I don't like the
fact that (compared to TBII) it seems to have solids that separate and settle
to the bottom of the container over time. You need to keep the stuff agitated
or it turns into a gloppy mess. Titebond II never did that for me. Wondering
how the Elmer's product will fare in this regard.

I started off with a fresh quart of Titebond III on my current rocking chair
project
(
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...833292&type=3),
and this thing has gobbled up a LOT of glue because both the rockers and the
back braces are laminated, so I'm just about out of this batch. I have another
chair waiting in the wings, and on this one I want to try the Elmer's Wood Glue
Max. It's good to hear you've had such positive results with it; I look
forward to trying it out.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/