Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
harry harry is offline

Default The economy -- are we replacing or repairing?

On Jan 9, 8:53*pm, George Plimpton wrote:
On 1/9/2012 6:27 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

In ,
says...

Existential Angst wrote:

YET, college enrollment sets new records every year. * WTF????

Don't know how the stats are compiled tho -- if they include ivy,
public/private, on-line, and these dinky for-profit ripoffs that
proliferate/advertise all over.

Well, some dinky for-profit (i.e., not a government school) don't reall
advertise. I'm thinking of Harvard, William& *Mary, etc.

If the stats are "legit", I find this surprising. *They say unemployed
people "go back to school", but I wonder if that's really true or
part of the current stats. *visavis "retraining".
I'd like the stats on high-schoolers going to legit 4 year schools,
and sep stats for junior colleges. And trade schools.

The University of Houston ranks number two in the state in the number of
warm bodies enrolled. It ranks about ninth in the number of classroom hours
of instruction inasmuch as over half its student body attends class at
night.

Personally, I think 4 year colleges are highly over-rated, except as
the "entre" they provide for having that piece of paper -- whose
value varies tremendously with the school, ivy obviously being the
better entre.

Would you "entre" someone who has a degree in Black or Women's Studies,
History of Pellopenesia, Non-Traditional Religions, Gay Literature Studies,
Elementary Education, and similar? I wouldn't even hire someone whose name
was Chlamydia.

Really depends on what I needed them for. *If I needed an engineer, no,
if I needed an elementary school teacher or a personnel wallah . . .

And if you hold people responsible for the names their parents stuck
them with you're an ass.

Steven Levitt ("Freakonomics") addresses the ultra-black names issue.
The names aren't what destine them more often than not to a bad,
unproductive life. *Rather, the fact their mamas had bad, unproductive
ghetto lives is why those people have those names in the first place.
The name isn't destiny, but the socio-economic background typically is.
* Taysh'aun and Kyeishi'a typically are born to uneducated
unemployed/unemployable teenage black girls, so they start out with the
deck stacked against them.- Hide quoted text -

These are people who never discovered the wheel. So it's not entirely
social.