Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Elmer's Wood Glue Max

i have used a lot of it. When they first started carrying it, the
price difference was even larger, so I used it on some glue lam beams
that were site built. (LOTS of glue, LOTS of mess, 100 clamps...)

It saved me a bunch of money when the price difference on a gallon was
something like $15. Locally, (YMMV) a gallon is still about that much
different when comparing the two. Since it has been out a while, the
price has closed, especially on the smaller bottles. A look this
afternoon revealed $2 a bottle difference in the 16 oz package.
Honestly, I can't tell any difference between performance.

I cannot believe I found this (it's so old it has mold on it!):

http://www.diyprojects.info/bb/ftopic70.html

See how many names you recognize after you read the posts. (Leon....
is that you?)

Check out post #18 here... since you do fine woodwork, if it is true,
it may be of some value:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-Elmers/page2

I have used Elmers for about 3 or 4 years now (they don't always have
it in stock) since my big beam, and for all manner of repairs big and
small. Never had a hitch. My tightfisted squarehead upbringing won't
let me buy Titebond anymore... especially since it is as much as $2 a
pint difference here.

As a side benefit, there are some videos somewhere on the internet
that compare stainability of TBIII and Elmer's max. I can tell you
personally Elmer's is more stainable than TB and stains more evenly,
but still, it is just stained glue. You won't mistake it for wood
grain.

Robert