Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The economy -- are we replacing or repairing?

In article , huntres23
@optonline.net says...

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 09:30:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Environmental Science degree, probably only good for a government
job. o_O

TDD

Or "public" or "Administration". My first degree I was twice blessed
as it was in Public Administration (although in my defense at the
time I was trying to a double major in Poli Sci and Journalism and
this was close w/o the need for a foreign language-grin).
(My next was a real degree in Nursing)

I note that "real" science does not have the word "science" as part of its
description. Whereas "pretend" science does.

Just using the scientific method does not make the discipline scientific.

Well, actually, using the scientific method does make the discipline
scientific. But if you're talking about "political science" and "social
science" they don't use the scientific method. They use statistics and
pretend that because they're playing with numbers they're doing science.

Nonsense. I've edited hundreds of scientific articles and papers,
ranging from materials science to statistical health care megastudies
and economics. They all use statistics -- often badly, on many counts.
The medical people are generally better at it than the engineers. The
economists blow both of them out of the water on that count.

People involved in physical sciences are smug elitists who think
they're the only ones who do science. Historically, they're as numb
about it as a high-school sophomore.

OK, Ed, you're now wandering into netloon territory.