inetnews.worldnet.att.net

Default How to build platform to raise a home entertainment center

Hi all,

Just hoped to get some guidance on this project. I have a plasma tv mounted
on the wall over a fireplace. I would like to purchase a home entertainment
center that includes two towers that will go on either side of the fireplace
and plasma. The two towers are connected by a light bridge which will sit
over the plasma. The problem is that due to the height of the fireplace,
the light bridge will not clear over the plasma. So I need to raise the two
towers about 3 inches. I know I can get a custom made version of it but I
really love everything about this entertainment center and the price is
right.

I would like to build wood platforms to raise the towers. The towers weigh
265 lbs. How would I build this platform to make it sturdy and what kind of
wood should I use? Also, since I will be able to see the platform, would I
cover the exposed portions of it with formica or some other material? Thanks
in advance for any pointers.