Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Just curious if you have experience with pouring boiling waterinto glass jars?

On Jan 9, 3:08*pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 7, 8:23*pm, (natp) wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 1/6/2012 8:27 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm just looking for practical real-world experience.

Today I had a bit of old tea powder left in a Lipton powdered iced tea
jar.

Instead of throwing it out or chipping it out, I simply poured boiling
water into it and drank it from the jar.

Since I half expected the glass jar to break, I did this in the sink -
but to my surprise, the glass held the just-boiled water.

I realize that glass can be made out of many materials (e.g., Pyrex) ...
but I wonder ...

Is this the general experience that typical American glass jars hold up
to boiling water?

As others point out, it is the thermal stress that breaks the glass.
Pyrex type glass expands less and will take more stress but is too
expensive to use for throwaway jars. The cheap jars if heated slowly and
uniformly *to minimize stress will take hot filling. *In your case,
adding the hot water slowly with swirling would probably be OK.

Also not a good idea to microwave items in this type glass.

Owens-Corning sold the Pyrex brand name to a company that's now using
it for soda-lime glass (not heat-resistant).

I once canned some peaches and didn't get the air bubbles out of the
jars before putting them in the canner. The bottoms of the canning jars
popped off very neatly, as though they'd been cut with a glass cutter.

I've had that happen to me with glass drink bottles - probably bottled
iced tea as you'd buy at a gas station on a road trip or something.
You know how you get that cool "smack" sound when you hit the lid with
the flat of your hand? *I just picked up a bottle out of the cooler,
idly smacked it for no real reason, and the bottom of the bottle
popped off and landed on the ground. *Fortunately I was not in a car
but standing in a parking lot when that happened. *I haven't done that
since

nate

My HS physics teacher used to do that as a demo. Think its also on
Utube.

Jimmie