Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default Square holes?

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Hi All,

Bought a new oven and it has a rotisserie. Tried it a couple of times
and the thing works great, -- but -- it is a major pain in the butt
trying to get stuff loaded up on the rod so that it turns evenly.
Especially when one end of a chicken is a giant cavity!

Sooo, I am open to *practical* suggestions for alternative chicken-
holding (and other food, did a great pork loin last night) devices
for mounting on the rod, which is then the basis for the question.

Any inexpensive ways for making square holes? 1/4" x 1/4" to be exact.
Current thinking is to just use a round rod and machine the square on
the drive end. But then how do I stop the "prongs" from rotating
around a round rod. There is a reason they used a square rod. {grin}

Dave

Drill 4 small holes in the corners and one big one in the center, then file
the remaining material (assuming its not a blind hole).

Or, if the material is thick, make a round hole and put 4 setscrews in from
the side to make it effectively square.

Or make the part in two halves and mill a 1/4" wide by 1/8" deep slot in
each, then braze or weld back together.

Or, if sheet metal, drill round hole and make square with nibbler.