Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Ian[_9_] Ian[_9_] is offline

Default DIY Legality

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.v7sfueczytk5n5@i7-940...

8

Someone needed to snip it so I did.

I don't know of any industrial electricians that would under rate the
cables or fit doubles on a 32A breaker.
This being because its unsafe to assume diversity will result in safe
operation.
So we are back to the old rules for domestic work:

Its probably safe but it isn't designed to be safe its probably safe.
The user probably isn't going to overload anything even though its easy to
do.
We can blame it on the user if it goes wrong for doing something he
probably shouldn't have.
We don't have to work to the *minimum* standard specified by the "regs"
(but we make more profit and have to think less if we do).

The "regs" are probably wrong, they have been in the past and will be in
the future. For example there have been various improvements to ring
circuits over the issues all slowly leading to a better probability of
them being safe.
The users of the stuff from old issues are probably less safe but its
their own fault and they deserve what they get.

I doubt if many people are going to pore over each issue of the regs as they
come out, and have their installations modified accordingly.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some slip-joint conduit kiccking around
somewhere, with rubber-insulated cables in it. 3/029 possibly.... or even
1/014 !!