Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default contaminated soldering surfaces

"Jeff Liebermann"
"Phil Allison"

** How are high volume manufacturers like Peavey supposed to use
your imaginary parts in automated soldering systems ?

Good point. I thought that they soldered the large components to the
PCB by hand.

** But you said and SNIPPED this :

I didn't want to confuse you with too much information.

** Stop posting BULL**** !!!

" My guess(tm) is that the lugs were cadmium plated. Cadmium can be
soldered with silver solder, but barely with regular 63/37. "

What maker would use a " barely solderable " plating on valve base pins or
jack sockets ?

Good question.

** The bloody obvious answer is NONE would !!!!

I'll admit that I'm speculating on this, but I can't seem to think of
a better explanation

** So you thought of an utterly absurd one instead ?

It seemed like a possible culprit at the time.

** Pathetic.

If I were to limit my replies to only those things which were verifiable,
100.0% accurate,
and not subject to debate, then I would never post anything.

** Straw man fallacy.

How pathetic.

BTW:

I see Peavey amps all the time and bad solder joints are common in
examples
over 10 years old - but most of them are due to heat cycling and
mechanical
stress.

Thermal cycling and mechanical damage will create a bad connection,
but will not affect the solderability of the lugs.

** Red herring fallacy.

**** off.