Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default recommended digital multimeter

Doug wrote:

In view of my infrequent repairs and my limited knowledge of
electricity (tho I can learn), what is a recommended digital
multimeter and where to buy?

Doug, you're going to get lots of answers.

But the only real useful answer is this:

Asking for recommendations for digital multimeters is like asking for
recommendations for calculators. The meters available at retail in your
area are going to be different than the ones available in my area and
different for someone else's area.

There's no magic meters here. You can buy a meter for a few bucks, to
over $100.

Yes, I'm sure Radio Shaft has an acceptible line-up of meters. Might
even be consistent across the same region - or even across the whole
country.

If you're in California (and maybe Arizona) then have a look at Fry's
and see what they have.

Any $10 or $15 meter will be fine for the average home owner. If you
want to get fancy, buy one that comes with a temperature probe and use
it to impress your guests when you're having a barbecue.

A $40 or $50 meter will be fine for a moderately advanced home engineer
/ hobbyist.