Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default recommended digital multimeter

On Jan 8, 2:03*pm, "Doug" wrote:
In view of my infrequent repairs and my limited knowledge of
electricity (tho I can learn), what is a recommended digital
multimeter and where to buy? *I have no idea what my budget is but for
starters lets say $100 (estimate). * I had a old analog one but it's
old and right now I can't find it so I'm willing to buy new.

Also, when I read one ad, it said the digital multimeter didn't need
to make contact with the diode? * Not sure what this means? * You
still need to have I assume 2 wires to touch the things in question,
right, so the meter can read the differences?

Use Flukes at work and no doubt they are a great relaible and accurate
meter. I have a $30 meter at home, dont know the name but I have had
it for about 20 years. It still works great too. I prefer meters that
will measure capacitance because you can tell which end of a cable has
a broken wire.if it can measure wire to wire capacitance otherwise all
you can tell is that the wire is open.

Jimmie