Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default recommended digital multimeter

Doug wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 13:03:42 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

In view of my infrequent repairs and my limited knowledge of
electricity (tho I can learn), what is a recommended digital
multimeter and where to buy? I have no idea what my budget is but for
starters lets say $100 (estimate). I had a old analog one but it's
old and right now I can't find it so I'm willing to buy new.

Also, when I read one ad, it said the digital multimeter didn't need
to make contact with the diode? Not sure what this means? You
still need to have I assume 2 wires to touch the things in question,
right, so the meter can read the differences?

Doing some quick research what do you think of
a) Fluke 115 Compact True-RMS Digital Multimeter or
b) RSR Environmental Tester + Multi Function DMM

These are not priced the same so maybe not apple to apple comparison.
I'm not going to use it a lot and I really just need it for voltage
and continuity checking. Don't need a $400 Fluke with my knowledge
(tho I might dream of having it). Thanks again...you guys are great
help !!!!

Fluke is top of the line, take care of it and it will last you a long
time. I have a Fluke 87 that I got in '88 or so and it still works
great, probably why the 87 is still made last I looked (now series III).