Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Speaking of Craftsman Tools....

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 09:48:07 -0800, Erik wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'll pick them up.
But you mean the handles are plastic-coated, right?
Ny old ones had a green coating of something, but it never wore off in
maybe 25 years.
Never filed my originals, but they weren't as hard used as your.
Good idea filing. I grind my favorite screwdrivers occasionally.
Yeah, I pulled many almost flush nails with those pliers.
Those jaws really take a bite, and the pipe-vise teeth sets on the
jaws work good too.

--Vic

Yes, regular plastic coated handles, but textured, not smooth like eon's
ago.

I liked the old smooth ones better, as clean up was easier, but others
disagree.

They should last forever in regular use.

Another poster mentioned plating... these are not plated. I also prefer
non plated for the same reasons he mentioned.

Go easy with the grinder and quench often if you do use it. Files leave
a much nicer finish and give better control.

Yes. I was a heat treater years ago.
I use a fine wheel, a very light touch and quench often.
Still sort of makes me feel "wrong" when it steams.
I'll get a set of Craftsman files too.

--Vic