Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The economy -- are we replacing or repairing?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:20:17 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I talked to an appliance repair lady who thinks the economy
is picking up.

I think she said that when it's really dead, people do wtihout.
If the laundry is broken, they take wet clothes to the laundro-
mat to dry, or wash them and take em home wet.

Moderate economy, people repair stuff. (home repair).

Good economy, people buy new.

I'm not sure where we are, now, but I'm really struggling.
Me, I think the economy is still bad. Not many people
repairing. I talked to a contractor (retired), yesterday.
He says the economy is so bad, that builders have gone
into remodelling, to keep the cash flow.

With the existing inventory of houses worth less than their replacement cost,
in most of the country, it's surprising that there is *any* new construction
going on. We're starting to look at homes now (though carrying two isn't in
the list of favorite things to do) and there *is* new construction going on.
boggle