Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default front door chime not working

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 05:40:04 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 8, 1:48*am, micky wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 00:43:42 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/7/2012 2:05 PM, Doug wrote:
I've got a house that the door chime stopped working (making a chime
noise). *I know it's not the outside button and the two wires outside
that connect to the button (that go thru the outside brick wall) when
touching each other showed some spark.

Ed makes a good point. *I should have seen it. * *The sparks show
you have power, but why do you think the button is wroking? * Because
connecting the two wires doesn't make it ring? *Could you hear it from
there? * If so, you're right.

It was pretty clear to me that the chime doesn't
ring when he touches the wires together. If
it did I don't think he's be just saying the wires
spark when he touches them.

When my button failed, putting the wires together would not ring the
chime. It had to pass through the button with the resistor on it.
Unless you know what type of button, we can't eliminate it for
certain.