Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Just curious if you have experience with pouring boiling waterinto glass jars?

On Jan 6, 7:27*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm just looking for practical real-world experience.

Today I had a bit of old tea powder left in a Lipton powdered iced tea
jar.

Instead of throwing it out or chipping it out, I simply poured boiling
water into it and drank it from the jar.

Since I half expected the glass jar to break, I did this in the sink -
but to my surprise, the glass held the just-boiled water.

I realize that glass can be made out of many materials (e.g., Pyrex) ...
but I wonder ...

Is this the general experience that typical American glass jars hold up
to boiling water?

It might depend on the "jar". My wife cans vegetables which exposes
the jars to all kinds of temperature changes. Usually the food going
into the jar has been blanched or cooked and is very hot when it goes
in. She puts lids and rings on the jars which allows them to cool
some. Then she puts them in a rack and immerses them in boiling water
for several minutes before putting the jars on the cabinet to cool and
seal. Granted, she uses canning jars for at least 80% of her canning
but she also uses some peanut butter, and other grocery store jars
with good, smooth rims.

RonB