Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default E11 Mini-Candelabra socket adapters?

On Jan 7, 7:53*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
Evan wrote:
On Jan 7, 5:38 pm, zxcvbob wrote:
The lights in our church are incandescents on dimmers. *150W light
bulbs cost $3 apiece and only last 750 hours (weren't they $2 just
a couple of months ago?) and these lights are in enclosed fixtures
and *really* hard to reach. *Little screw-in halogen capsule lights
are slightly more efficient, cost $6, and last 2000 hours. *I also
suspect traditional 150W lamps will get expensive and/or hard to
find soon.

So I'm looking for bushings to screw into medium-base Edison light
sockets to adapt them to single-ended halogen lamps. *I've seen
medium-base to candelabra adapters, but this is a "mini candelabra"
*thread, not normal candelabra base -- also it needs to be
temperature rated for at least 150W lamps. *Any idea?

-Bob

@Bob:

Those little halogen capsules aren't going to last you any longer
than the normal lamps if you dim them below 75% of full-on as the
Halogen cycle won't happen if the lamp temp is too low... So you
would be buying lamps twice as expensive boasting a potential of
lasting twice as long which won't perform to that expectation...

Your problem sounds to me like one of control of why and how long the
lights remain on and budgeting for lamp replacements on a more
regular basis...

Standard method of lamp replacement is you wait until 25% of the
lamps are out and then you bring out the ladders or man-lifts and
re-lamp all fixtures. Perhaps it is time to think about a capital
replacement of the fixtures to more modern ones...

Is dimming really that important to the operation of the lights ?
They will last longer if burned at full output and not cycled on and
off rapidly...

~~ Evan

Those are good points. *The lamps are used at full brightness 99% of the
time, but that 1% that they are dimmed way down is important too. *And
the soft start the dimmers provide is kind of nice.

The biggest problem here is the E26 lamp base that the .gov hates so much..

I have found porcelain E26 to E11 adapter bushings online, but they come
in large lots (minimum *order 50), and I don't know if they are UL
approved... *It's still a start. *I also don't know if the mini-can
quartz lamps are position sensitive, like some HID lamps. *(horizontal
vs base-up vs base-down)

-Bob

@Bob:

Pictures are worth thousands of words...

Show us a picture of one of the lamps currently in use from your
supply storeroom... Show us a picture of one of the fixtures...

Post the pictures on a photohosting site and reply with the links
here...

~~ Evan