Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Sprinkler booster pump

On Jan 7, 6:30*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I live where we have both agricultural water and potable water. *In the
winter, the ag water boosters are turned off, but the line still provides
water at very low pressure. *I believe I can put a booster pump on it, and
it will provide enough water so I can run my timers and sprinkler system
during the winter instead of dragging my little booster pump and the
back-and-forth sprinkler all over. *I believe I would need a pump that will
attach to my 1" supply line, and provide 50 psi coming out, what my normal
ag water pressure is during summer. *Is this what is typically done in the
off season? *I saw one fellow running the big Rain Birds with 2" lines, and
spraying 100'. *I'm sure he has a booster, because the whole valley's ag
water comes from the same place. *This is only needed once a month or so
during the winter months, and helps the grass survive in better condition
come spring. *Pump brands and types suggestions appreciated, and caveats.
I'm guessing about $150 for a pump.

TIA

Steve

Steve-

Adding a booster pump to "inactive" ag line will definitely give you a
boost in pressure but........
The flow (gpm) supplied by the ag line is all your booster pump has to
work with.

Do a "bucket test" to see what the inactive ag line can supply, that
will be (more or less) the flow that your booster pump has to work
with.

The booster pump you add will boost the pressure deliverable to your
sprinkler lines but the flow may be inadequate.
I'm guessing you'll have less than 10 gpm to work with.

The guy running a 2" line off his booster pump must have a much larger
supply line to it.

cheers
Bob