Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent starter-switch question

On 1/7/2012 9:40 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:01 pm, wrote:
On Jan 7, 12:29 am, wrote:

I have an older 18" fluorescent lamp that takes a 15WT8 bulb. As of this
morning, it no marcha. I suspect the starter switch, which is your glass-
tube type and is pretty black inside.

The problem is, I can't find any 15W starter switches at any location close
to me. I can, however, cheaply and easily find a white, cylindrical starter
switch that says, "13w, 30w, 40w" on it.

Can I use this "13w, 30w, 40w" switch with my 15w lamp?

--
Tegger

If you are careful you can start your tube with a bit of (insulated)
wire flicked across the to starter terminals. When it has started you
can take it away.
Obviously don't touch any live parts.

Once up and running, the starter is redundant and hence can be removed
and used on other lights of the same wattage.

Yeah thats a good way to check and see if the starter is really bad. I
used to work in the amusements business as a tech. I took care of
hundreds of flourescent lamps.I had a test starter that was just the
case with the inards removed and a push button connected across the
terminals. Still could be a bad bulb or ballast or both, starter too.

Jimmie

I seem to recall some fluorescent starters having a little red reset
button coming out of the top.

TDD