Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default front door chime not working

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 20:43:01 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 16:44:54 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

Sorry to keep tagging on to my own message but how good do the
wireless door bells work? I mean the door bell would be about 3 feet
from the front (wood) door and if I go with the same location as the
wired chime box, it's about 15 feet inside door. I could probably
mount the wireless chime box much closer but the original location is
more central in the home.

Personally, if you already have a wired system you would be much
farther ahead replacing whatever is bad and using it. The wireless

Absolutely. I only used wireless once, when my mother's apartment
had no doorbell at all, and cement walls, that the landlord wouldn't
have wanted me drilling holes in.

Plus you need to replace batteries. Plus the button is fat and
surface mounted and and looks terrible.

pushbutton has a battery in it that is prone to failure - andif your
neighbor buys one his can ring yours and vise versa.

I find them a pain, but if you didn't have wires already in place, it
IS easier than wiring from scratch.

A friend also uses one, with the chime unmounted, when he's out in
the fenced back yard/pool area so he can hear if someone comes to the
front door.

OP, this is unrelated to your problem. Don't try this at home:

I had a bell in my first floor hall, and put an added bell in my
basement (which required a bigger transformer because they rang at the
smae time) and when I got a computer, I spent a lot of time on the
second flloor. Didn't want to bother running wires, so I bought
wireless, soldered close the wireless push button, removed the
battery, and replace it with a connection to the transformer, that had
power when the front door button was pressed. Had to add a diode to
get DC currrent to the wireless button. Plugged the bell into a 2nd
floor hall outlet and now the doorbell rings on all 3 floors.