Posted to alt.home.repair

Default E11 Mini-Candelabra socket adapters?

On 1/7/2012 4:38 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
The lights in our church are incandescents on dimmers. 150W light bulbs
cost $3 apiece and only last 750 hours (weren't they $2 just a couple of
months ago?) and these lights are in enclosed fixtures and *really* hard
to reach. Little screw-in halogen capsule lights are slightly more
efficient, cost $6, and last 2000 hours. I also suspect traditional 150W
lamps will get expensive and/or hard to find soon.

So I'm looking for bushings to screw into medium-base Edison light
sockets to adapt them to single-ended halogen lamps. I've seen
medium-base to candelabra adapters, but this is a "mini candelabra"
thread, not normal candelabra base -- also it needs to be temperature
rated for at least 150W lamps. Any idea?

-Bob

The only problem might be the heat produced by the halogen lamp. If you
have a Light Bulb Depot store in your area, the stores are usually
staffed by nice knowledgeable people and they can really help you out.
The adapters sold by LBD appear to be ceramic so heat may not be a
problem for the adapter but I would be concerned about the existing
socket and wiring. If the socket is ceramic, the wiring may also be of
the high temperature resistant type.

http://www.lightbulbdepot.com/subcategory.asp?sub=109

TDD