Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

Doug Miller wrote in
:

Han wrote in
:

[...]
Which brings us to the intriguing question of why the US has the
highest % of population in prison of all Western countries, but that
should be another thread, perhaps not on the wreck.

Largely because of our absurd policy of jailing people for using
drugs, or for possessing small amounts for personal use.

I was born in Holland, so follow with some interest the Amsterdam
experiences. It does turn out only semi-beneficial to allow low-level
drugs. One bad aspect is the riffraff drugtourists coming in. That
causes troubles in tourist areas (not only Amsterdam). Another is the
"gateway" to small-time and not so smalltime transgressions of the law in
other areas, hard(er) drugs, prostitution and human trafficking. So I
haven't reall formed a hard opinion, but I think that somewhere there
should be a definite and definitive border beyond which it is a real bad
crime. But, yes, it would likely be beneficial to drug users and society
as a whole if personal drug use would be allowed, and somehow regulated
and taxed.

YMMV!

--
Best regards