Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Just curious if you have experience with pouring boiling water into glass jars?

Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm just looking for practical real-world experience.

Today I had a bit of old tea powder left in a Lipton powdered iced tea
jar.

Instead of throwing it out or chipping it out, I simply poured boiling
water into it and drank it from the jar.

Since I half expected the glass jar to break, I did this in the sink -
but to my surprise, the glass held the just-boiled water.

I realize that glass can be made out of many materials (e.g., Pyrex)
... but I wonder ...

Is this the general experience that typical American glass jars hold
up to boiling water?

I've had them break. If you don't want them to, just pour in a little boiling
water, and swirl/shake it to warm the glass more slowly/evenly. Repeat with some
more water, then fill it.

I watch a fellow gash his hand with a wime glass once. It was fresh from the
dishwasher, filled with red wine. It suddenly broke in his hand while to stood
there holding it.