Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Just curious if you have experience with pouring boiling waterinto glass jars?

On Jan 7, 1:27*am, Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm just looking for practical real-world experience.

Today I had a bit of old tea powder left in a Lipton powdered iced tea
jar.

Instead of throwing it out or chipping it out, I simply poured boiling
water into it and drank it from the jar.

Since I half expected the glass jar to break, I did this in the sink -
but to my surprise, the glass held the just-boiled water.

I realize that glass can be made out of many materials (e.g., Pyrex) ...
but I wonder ...

Is this the general experience that typical American glass jars hold up
to boiling water?

Thin glass is less likely to break than thick. (Differential
expansion.)