Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent starter-switch question

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 08:21:34 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

That's a thought, the four dollar starter might do the job. I'd also check
old time hardware stores, they often have that kind of thing. Off the edge
of my memory, I have a couple fluorescent starters in my pile of clutter.
Not sure what values. Have you tried Ebay or Froogle? Seems like you can get
anything except a bride on Ebay, or a gun.

When I was looking for under counter lights, they were MUCH less money at
walmart. Probably both made in China, of course.

Please let us know if the starter works.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Tegger" wrote in message

I did visit Home Depot and another hardware store, but what I found there
was not what I wanted. I did not think of Walmart, though. Will try that
today. And I will pick up that starter anyway; for $4, it's worth a shot.

For under counter lighting I'd never go to flourescent any more with
LEDs being at the state of development they have now reached.

As for desk lamps, likely the same - but the OLD desk flourescents
I've had around - up to 45 years old now - did not use a starter -
they used a "start button". You just hold the button down 'till it
glows and flickers, then release and the light is on.

Other tha special purpose lights (like aquarium lighting) I thought
virtually everything flourescent of recent design and manufacture used
rapid start ballasts.. I guess that may still be true - but the
specialty stuff, although of recent manufacture, is still of early
design. Why change what isn't broken?