Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Painting wheel rims - need advice

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Limp Arbor wrote the following:
On Jan 6, 8:18 am, "Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote:
On my utility trailer, the rims are beginning to show rust on the
outside
edge. I want to knock off the rust and paint the rims. I plan to
remove
the wheels because they are likely the same on the inside.

Obviously, I don't want to get paint on the tires. I thought about
putting
oil on the tires so any paint that got on them wouldn't stick and could
be
wiped off. But I don't know if the oil would be bad for the tires.

Any suggestions on a better way to do this, other than taking them to a
tire shop and having the tires removed and then remounted after
painting?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Doug is correct pull the tires. You can do it yourself with two big
prybars. The hardest part is breaking the bead which gets harder as
your rims/tires get bigger.

...and you get older.

Should be no problem on a utility
trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGcVp8XctRs

--
Bill

My local tire store will hardly charge me for something like that. Most
repairs have been free, but I do go there when I need tires and brakes, so
they get it back. So, why even get my hands dirty. Or worse than that,
BREAK A NAIL?

Steve