Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ray[_7_] Ray[_7_] is offline

Default Bowl turning question - scraper or gouge?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:35:10 -0800, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

I'm starting to try my hand at small faceplate cups or bowls - nothing over
4" diameter and 3" deep yet.

Having a problem getting a smooth finish on the interior of the bowl. Don't
have the hang of getting a smooth cut on the inside walls with a gouge so I
use various round scrapers. This gives me some rough areas where there is
end grain. Can't seem to simply sand it out. Do I just need more practice or
is there something I've missed.

Mainly using claro walnut burl, maple and even some pine test pieces - same
result - rough spots on the inner and sometimes outer walls where there is
end grain. I buy the waxed blanks from various places and the wood is
usually from damp to wet, if that makes any difference.

Thanx,

I am a relative novice at turning. I have somewhat mastered the
scraper and sanding block. Maple end grain is ugly. But what I have
found to tame it is a goose neck card scraper. I can take off inch
long by .002" shavings. If it is really bad I sand with 36 grit
sandpaper at slow speed and use the card scraper to remove the grooves
left by the sandpaper. I seem to have no problem with the spalted
maple. The other solution is segmented turning.

Ray
Vic