Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8679 Ignoramus8679 is offline

Default Jewelry question..Titanium or tungsten rings?

On 2012-01-07, Doug White wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote in
:

I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

I would think that one good whack & a carbide ring would be in pieces.
Given the kind of work you do, a whack is inevitable.

That good whack will also break your finger.

Do they tell you
what grade of carbide? Some are more impact resistant than others.
Carbide will also be heavy. I think you can achieve a similar look with
hematite. It may be no more rugged, but I suspect it's cheaper, so you
could buy spares...

Doug White