Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 2012-01-06, notbob wrote:
On 2012-01-06, DoN. Nichols wrote:

And I tend to prefer OpenBSD

I also occasionally use OpenBSD, my preference of all the BSDs. It
should be noted they have contributed mightily to the *nix disporia.
Their reworked version of secure shell, OpenSSH, has become the
defacto standard used by almost all *nixes.

It is even the version supplied by Sun in Solaris 10. (And
presumably still by Oracle, who took over Sun. :-(

So -- in the legal sense, linux is not unix, in that it has no
history from AT&T's code. BSD is now also not unix, because it rewrote
all the code which was AT&T, so only the SysV systems are really still
unix, though they have absorbed many features of BSD.

Technically, you are correct. OTOH, Linux is so much like unix,
anyone truly comfortable with basic Linux would not feel out of place
on a unix box.

And there are similar difference between BSD flavors and SysV
flavors. In particular (for me) the options fed to ps(1) for about the
same output a

ps -ale (SysV)
ps -alx (BSD)

with small differences in the output, but those are the options which I
most often use. (Though I tend to use "-lax" with BSD, just because it
forms a word as does "-ale" in SysV. :-) The program does not care about
the order of options anyway, so why not make it easier for the user to
remember?

Also -- the format of the output of df(1) varies significantly,
so I tend to prefer

df -h

on anything new enough to support it, or

df -k

on the older ones, which makes BSD and SysV look similar enough to keep
me happy. :-)

I can see problems amongst ubuntu users, but users of,
say, Slackware or Gentoo would have few problems. I've pretty much
tried all the unix variants and settled on Slackware, it being the
most unix-like of the Linux distros, IMO.

FWIW, the term "distro" has bugged me since I first heard it. :-)

SysV has changed significantly (based on Solaris 10), in that
what used to be handled (on startup or run level changes) by the files
in /etc/init.d and triggered by /etc/rc?.d links into the latter, is now
handled by a database maintained by svcadm with lots of options, and to
see what is what, you use svcs -a to see what daemons are online and
offline.

And BSD tends to do all of this with just a few files, /etc/rc,
/etc/rc.local, and corresponding filename.conf files. Though I
understand that things have gotten different in the most recent release
of OpenBSD, which I do not yet have.

And SysVr2 (as exemplified by the Unix-PC/7300/3B1 is closer to
the BSD way of doing things than the later SysV versions.

I did prefer the /etc/init.d directory in older SysV, and would
like to see it in OpenBSD as well.

But all of this is about administering the system, not using it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564