Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default Fluorescent starter-switch question

wrote in
:

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 00:29:36 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Can I use this "13w, 30w, 40w" switch with my 15w lamp?

Should be able to - the worst that can happen is it will STILL be
dead.

What puzzled me is that specific wattages were indicated, rather than an
upper-and-lower range of wattages. This suggested to me that there was some
characteristic of the starter that rendered it functional--or safely
functional--only at those specific wattages.

I am, as you may be able to tell, not an electronics expert. But I know
enough to be able to keep from electrocuting myself, and from setting fire
to my surroundings.

(I have now also asked my question in sci.electronics.repair, where I fully
expect to be inflicted with 3rd-degree burns for having failed to ask an
intelligent question. I invite you to amuse yourself by following my
progress in that group...)

And when you say "older" you should REALLY be saying OLD.
It's been a couple of decades since a "starter" has been used on a
flourescent lamp.

The fixture is a GE unit that's at /least/ 15-years-old and bears the
"Order Code" number "UCF18P/CND".

This picture is what I'm identifying as a "starter":
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/fluor-starter.jpg
The silver thing at rear appears to be a potted coil.

--
Tegger