Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Interference in FM radio reception.

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 17:59:54 -0500, micky
wrote:

AFAIK, nothing around here has changed, but in the last 3 months I
have been getting intermittent but strong interference in my FM radio
reception, and I'd like to find the source and stop it. .

First I'm going to find my MP3 player, which has an FM radio, and try
to circle in on the source of the noise. I didn't think the problem
could be so far away, so it's good that I'm looking farther now. .

There are two big ham radio clubs around here, and smaller ones in
adjacent counties. I go to their hamfests all the time. A few of
them even know me. The problem now is that I haven't kept a log of
when the interference occurs, so even if they're willing, I can't tell
them when to come over. I'll keep the log, and I'll call them
anyhow. Maybe one who likes foxhunting lives 5 minutes away, etc.

I plan to get back to you with more details when I know them, but it
may take a while.

BTW, the two stations I mentioned are HD, so Jeff, maybe that's why
they get the noise. So is 88.1, which is very close to 88.5 of
course, but 88.1 is a local station, not 45 miles away, so maybe its
signal is too strong for this interference to interfere????

Thaks for all the good advice.

P.S. There are also one or two buses that park 100 to 150 yards
from my house. Maybe they have some fancy new electronics. They have
an erratic schedule themselves, in that I thought there was never more
than one and it only parked unitl i's next route began. Maybe 10
minutes, but I've been paying attention and it's more complicated.
Al;so I live in the suburbs and didn't think they ran all night, but
next time the noise starts in the night I'll force myself to the
window to look. (Obviously I'm awake, but I don't like sitting up.)