Andrew Barss

Default Crosscut Sled - epiphany

Swingman wrote:

: "Andrew Barss" wrote in message
: ...
: Swingman wrote:
: : "Jeffrey Thunder" wrote in message
:
: : Nope ... exactly you said is: "when the angle isn't 45 degrees, one cut
: : will be longer than the other" .. and "the joint will look bad".
:
:
: And JT is completely right.

: Right in theory, wrong in actualy practice. Did you READ what JT originally
: took exception to? Obviously not.

Yes, I read the whole thread, and was remarking on a couple of posts
in which it was asserted that (a) you can make a good mitre sled
with guides A and B if they add up to 90 degrees, and (b) your reply to JT
(who had remarked that the angle of the mitred bit would inded be 90
degrees, but would look wrong if A and B aren't 45 degrees),
saying it just does not matter.

: : While I will grant you that the "length' of cut becomes an issue the
: : _wider_
: : the stock, you are apparently assuming that most miter joints cut
: this
: : way
: : are done in wide stock and the angular error is great enough. From
: : practical
: : experience, that is NOT the case in typical woodworking projects.

: I've already proved that's not the case .READ what I said!

You didn't prove it -- you asserted it.

: : ?? 45 degrees _is_ the complementary angle to 90 degrees.
:
: Um, no. Way, way no.

: If you don't know what "complementary angle" is, you shouldn't be in the
: discussion.

Two angles are complementary if they ADD UP TO 90 degrees -- that's the
definition. 45 thus isn't the complementary angle to 90 -- it's
complementary to 45; and zero is complementary to 90 degrees.

-- Andy Barss