Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Just curious if you have experience with pouring boiling water into glass jars?

Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm just looking for practical real-world experience.

Today I had a bit of old tea powder left in a Lipton powdered iced tea
jar.

Instead of throwing it out or chipping it out, I simply poured boiling
water into it and drank it from the jar.

Since I half expected the glass jar to break, I did this in the sink -
but to my surprise, the glass held the just-boiled water.

I realize that glass can be made out of many materials (e.g., Pyrex)
... but I wonder ...

Is this the general experience that typical American glass jars hold
up to boiling water?

Dunno in general, but with canning jars (i.e., Kerr) that's how you
sterilize them.