Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Painting wheel rims - need advice

On 1/6/2012 1:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 6, 8:51 am, Limp wrote:
On Jan 6, 8:18 am, "Bob-tx"Live Spam free wrote:

On my utility trailer, the rims are beginning to show rust on the outside
edge. I want to knock off the rust and paint the rims. I plan to remove
the wheels because they are likely the same on the inside.

Obviously, I don't want to get paint on the tires. I thought about putting
oil on the tires so any paint that got on them wouldn't stick and could be
wiped off. But I don't know if the oil would be bad for the tires.

Any suggestions on a better way to do this, other than taking them to a
tire shop and having the tires removed and then remounted after painting?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Doug is correct pull the tires. You can do it yourself with two big
prybars. The hardest part is breaking the bead which gets harder as
your rims/tires get bigger. Should be no problem on a utility
trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGcVp8XctRs

Check this guy out...Looks like a truck tire. 49 seconds. No air in or
out but still pretty darn quick.

Looks like he already broke the bead and lubed it up then refilled it
with air before the video. Something shiny shows up now and then on the
video, I think it's lube of some sort. Still fast but misleading.