Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson Lyndell Thompson is offline

Default Besieged by L423 diesel engines

I hope this water doesn't smell like diesel fuel, if the injector pump leaks
internally it will put diesel in the crankcase. Depending on oil and diesel
fuel grades it does not always mix well. Sometimes (not always) looks like
droplets of water on stick. But will still have strong smell of diesel.

By the way, do you have the bell housing size or measurement for these
engines?

I have a Generac generator that was destroyed by a tree hitting it a few
years back. The engine ran fine but the generator head was gone. Parts were
too costly and insurance replaced it. It is a mitsubishi 1.5L 4 cylinder
liquid cooled, I believe it to be a 4G15 industrial engine. I have tried to
find a welder or forklift or car that needs this engine but have not had any
luck. The difficulty is that it is set up for LP gas (can also do natural
gas) and has all manner of solid state controls that would have to be
removed and replaced by whatever this engine would be replacing. I will send
you a bellhousing chart off list for you to view. I am not sure but I think
mine might be a #4. If you are interested or have something that might work
for this engine give me a shout. I am in southern Indiana (close to
Louisville KY).
Thanks Lyndell

"Ignoramus8679" wrote in message
If you recall, I once bought, repaired and sold two Cummins L423D
engines from the military. Then I bought a generator, that I now use
for my house backup, also powered by a L423D.

Guess what, today I bought a known busted generator, also with a L423D
engine.

The head was taken off because there was "water in oil". Then it was
replaced, after running for 163 hours.

Then a lot of parts, I am sure, were lost while it was moved around by
ignorant people. But the generator still has a control panel, engine
block, injection pump, starter, etc.

My first question is what exactly does cause water in oil? Cracked
head?

thanks