Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default How much space does a shower need?

On Jan 6, 12:23*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
wrote in ...
It's a rather basic question but I can't find straightforward answers
anywhere.

We're [re]designing an area in our house and want to install a new
shower (among other things). *In order to plan the layout we need to
know how much space a shower needs. *It might be a dedicated shower
room or, if it fits, we might squeeze it into the existing downstairs
loo.

So any advice, pointers, etc. as to minimum and/or sensible sizes for
a shower would be very welcome.

Our current shower tray is 750mm * 750mm.
Elbow room is a little less as the shower screen is inboard of the edge.
I wouldn't like to go any smaller than that unless the whole family is built
on budget lines.
I am 6 foot tall and can manage in this, but I haven't tried to bend over in
the shower (not that I could anyway).
AFAIK this is a standard small shower cubicle.
If you want to go for a full wet room then you have more flexibility as long
as you can cover up the loo (And especially the toilet paper) when you are
showering.
For a small shower there are benefits in having the shower head over the
middle of the area pointing down instead of taking up wall space.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Wet room - ours is 1500 x 1600 - could lose a little I suppose but
there's never any problems with bending over, lifting a leg, or
anything else which is a double entendre !

If you do go this way, I laid the base concrete such that the shower
area of 800mm square was about 50mm below floor level and I used 150mm
quarry tiles to tile the whole thing making sure that the whole floor
drained into the shower basin.

Friends took the idea but the stupid builder didn't lay the floor
properly and the room has to be swept each time one has a shower.

Rob