Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default OT Ethernet Cable

dennis@home wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/01/2012 12:46, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Paul D Smith wrote:

If you need a really long cable, you might consider WiFi instead.
Something like a DLink DAP 1160 will convert "wired" to "wireless"
and I
happily stream HD iPlayer over exactly that from my Dlink WiFi
router/ADSL
modem which is some inconvenient distance form the TV.

Does the lower speed of WiFi compared with ethernet become relevant
when dealing with TV (video) data?

Potentially yes... but it does depend on what you are using the
ethernet connection for.

If all you want is access to Youtube via the internet, then it makes
little difference, since whatever wifi speed you get will still be
well in excess of most broadband connections.

If however you have a DLNA media server stuffed full of HD movies etc,
and you want to stream them to the TV, you may find the wifi ruyns out
of puff. Hence the popularity of "Homeplug AV" data over mains gizmos
for this application.

WiFi is quite quick.
I can saturate my 18M DSL connection with ease using WiFi.

I can saturate my wifi with a single file transfer.

So?
That's not what the OP is likely to do.
And if that causes you a problem then run some better software which
prioritises the AV stuff so it works.

now how do I do that on a shared wifi ethernet?

802.11n supports QOS but even you could put in two access points and split
the use.