Jeff Thunder

Default Crosscut Sled - epiphany

In article ,
"Swingman" writes:
Besides, we were actually "ON TOPIC" ... which should be viewed as
commendable these days.

Yep. And there was no top posting either. But I was lazy with
my original post here and didn't make it clear what I was
referring to. I should have quoted exactly what I thought
was misleading/incorrect.

Bottom line: poor use of Usenet on my part.

Dirty little secret: When I made my first miter sled I did exactly
as Barry described. After all, I should get complementary angles and
a perfect miter, right? The first test cuts showed how I was wrong
to neglect getting the cleats as close as possible to 45 degrees from
the blade. I had a perfect 90 degree miter that looked like crap.
No, I never measured how far off 45 degrees from the blade they
were, and yes, I had make a passing effort at getting them close. But
that wasn't good enough.

The original post brought up not-so-fond memories, and I wanted
to make it clear that one can't just ignore the angle between the
cleats and the blade. Instead, I ended up wasting bandwidth and
time (mine and others'). My apologies to all involved.

--
Jeff Thunder, still in wreck.hell
The From: header above is wrong on porpoise