Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default COMPLETE VICTORY over the transformer!

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ignoramus8679 wrote:

Does a dry type transformer actually have any combustible
materials?

One caught fire in the transformer vault at my highschool one
summer. It powered the newest wing of the school, and you could
still smell it, two years later.

Wouldn't that have been oil-filled?

How do you suggest that they fill a dry transformer with oil?

Ok, so you could see it well enough in the "vault". I thought a big
installation like that would have the same type I have on my pole. Maybe
because my high school had 3000 students.

So what? Ours was about half that size and had three transformer
rooms, one in each wing. The transformer that failed was two years old,
and the largest on campus. It took Westinghouse six months to built the
replacement, and have a crane brought in to place it into the vault.