Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Braking Aluminum

"David Billington" wrote in message
Other than that I might try a progressive approach with a former like a
boat prow and work your way from one side to the other then start at the
beginning again repeatedly until you have the chine shape. ...

I formed this bucket from 0.050" stainless by hand, by clamping the bend
line to the edge of a steel welding table and hammering the flaps over with
a large hammer and wooden block:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...65918437561074
The back is a shallow 4-sided tray, the bottom a square-ended U, stick
welded with 312 rod.

As you wrote the bend has to be done progressively, maybe ten degrees at a
time, to avoid stretching and warping the metal.

Though I don't have any photos to prove it 0.062" 6061 is bendable in large
sheets the same way. 5052 is easier.

jsw