Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
miso miso is offline

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal alot?

On 1/5/2012 9:16 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:48:09 -0800, wrote:

I can see the desiccant being an issue if you don't service the box and
change it out. I wonder if they are depending on the heat from the box
to keep things dry inside.

I don't think so. The box won't get hot enough to do anything useful.
I think you have to get the desiccant rather hot before it will
release the trapped water.

I have a downconverters handy. [Learn by destruction stuff from ebay.
;-)] They just use a sealed case. Both have a black fuzzy thing inside,
purpose unknown. I don't think it is a desiccant.

The black fuzzy stuff is a carbon microwave absorbing sheet, intended
to absorb RF. The idea is to absorb rather than reflect as in a metal
shield.

Pelican and similar cases have check valves. I just curse and yank
really hard and the ammo cases open. It is is impressive on some of the
cans with good seals.

I can't believe what they get for ammo cases these days. You would think
with a decade of war we would be awash with cases. I was driving around
Palmdale, spotted an Army surplus store, and decided to check it out.
Small ammo boxes I got for $5 at the flea market were $30. I've bought
real transit cases for that kind of money.

Locally, we have:
http://www.surplusinc.com
They don't even list ammo boxes on their web page. They have a few
and yes, they're seriously overpriced. When Ft Ord closed, their
supply of goodies dried up. I'm not sure why, but I'm seeing zero
military surplus coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan.

This black fuzzy thing is a small block of sorts. About the dimensions
of a bluetooth dongle. If I get motivated I'll open one up again and
send a photo.