Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill[_42_] Bill[_42_] is offline

Default Bowl turning question - scraper or gouge?

On 1/5/2012 11:13 AM, Kevin Miller wrote:
On 01/05/2012 09:35 AM, Vic Baron wrote:
I'm starting to try my hand at small faceplate cups or bowls - nothing
over 4" diameter and 3" deep yet.

Having a problem getting a smooth finish on the interior of the bowl.
Don't have the hang of getting a smooth cut on the inside walls with a
gouge so I use various round scrapers. This gives me some rough areas
where there is end grain. Can't seem to simply sand it out. Do I just
need more practice or is there something I've missed.

Mainly using claro walnut burl, maple and even some pine test pieces -
same result - rough spots on the inner and sometimes outer walls where
there is end grain. I buy the waxed blanks from various places and the
wood is usually from damp to wet, if that makes any difference.

Best bet is to learn to use a gouge more effectively. I know, not much
help, sorry. Scrapers tend to tear out so getting a clean cut is harder.
Try doing a shear scrape rather than a regular scrape, that may help.

Use a freshly sharpened tool.

Run the lathe as fast as safely possible, and cut very very slowly.

When sanding, wipe the area with tear out with paste wax, then sand.

all Kevin said.
Hold scraper at about 45 deg to 60 deg angle with the leading edge (near
center of bowl) raised up off the rest. make sure it's razor sharp.

with gouge, make a smooth sweeping cut from bottom to top, very sharp
gouge. You can invert the gouge and use as a shear scraper and clean up
tear out, but if you are not really really careful, you will get a catch
that you will remember for a long time because you are not rubbing the
bevel or anything.