Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Washing machine drain tight connection

On Jan 5, 1:50*am, "Guv Bob"
wrote:
My washer has a pump that is too strong for the drains in this old house. *From what I have heard, some kind of tight connection is OK as long as the washer has a pumped drain and not a gravity type.

Being an expert seat of the pants, shade tree type feller, I thought I better pass this by the pros here before I throw the switch.

I already rooted out the drain all the way to the sewer, and the roof vent is clear. *Still not quite big enough for the newer washer.

Sketch of what I'm think about doing:

http://imageshack.us/f/856/washerd.gif/

Many thanks,

Bob

Sounds like a capacity issue in the drain line, your washer pump is
emptying the
machine faster than your drain line can drain the water away...

How long of a run at the smaller pipe size before the drain line for
your washer
empties into a larger size pipe or the main stack ?

You should also check to ensure the line in question is properly and
adequately
vented, water drains much slower through improperly vented lines than
it does
through properly vented ones -- it is difficult to break the vacuum on
a poorly
vented line and if you seal the connection as you have indicated your
washer
won't be able to introduce air into the line like the "loose" drain
connections...

~~ Evan