Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default OT Ethernet Cable

On Jan 5, 1:29*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 5, 12:46 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Paul D Smith wrote:
If you need a really long cable, you might consider WiFi instead.
Something like a DLink DAP 1160 will convert "wired" to "wireless" and I
happily stream HD iPlayer over exactly that from my Dlink WiFi router/ADSL
modem which is some inconvenient distance form the TV.
Does the lower speed of WiFi compared with ethernet become relevant
when dealing with TV (video) data?

Not really. The Ethernet in a smart TV is mostly for streaming content
from the web which, for most people, will be limited by their
broadband connection.

well yes and no.

Like I said not really.

Wifi is not full duplex for a start, and if other people are using it it
can become a limiting factor.
As can the DSL connection if while you are watching that HD video, your
email client wakes up and starts downloading a huge email attachment..

The question was about the WiFi link. Why do you think I said that
most peoples broadband will be the limit?

DSL itself is good for about one decent HD video stream and nothing
else. (well my sort of 4Mbps BRAS type DSL anyway).

Indeed. Except we get 16Mbps+ to the exchange from here.

WiFi is good for 2 or three such...

So, like I said, the limit will be the broadband connection, not the
WiFi.

Wifi is a best efforts 50Mbps or so half duplex *shared* connection..

Still many times most peoples broadband connection.

100Mbps Ethernet is a guaranteed 100MBPS FULL DUPLEX link to wherever.

The point being that smart TVs, for most users, don't do "to
wherever".

Do you have anything of value to contribute?

MBQ