Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default OT Ethernet Cable

In article 20120104181526.7bf3475e@surya,
says...

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:23:07 -0000
"DerbyBoy" No-one
wrote:

Are they all screened as a quick look on Amazon doesn't make any
differentiation.

Sorry - the actual wording in the manual is "LAN Cable (Shielded)"

Modern "twisted pair" cabling (aka 10baseT) has no shielding. This is
what is commonly available now, and often known as "Cat 5".

Oh! I must be dreaming this Cat 5 SHIELDED cable connecting this laptop
to my router, then!

And take a look at this:

http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivit...0-1/plug-rj45-
emt/dp/4739504

or http://tinyurl.com/8xb88to

which clearly has a metal screen with cable entry designed to crimp on
to cable with a braided screen (other cables use a foil screen and drain
wire and use slightly different connectors).

If you at this current list ...

http://tinyurl.com/6tjzg9n

(I'm not even going to attempt posting a 605 character link on here!)

.... and hover over he thumbnails one by one, you'll see a lot of the
connectors have screens (obviously, connectors intended for use on
unscreened cables don't have them).

Unfortunately, despite allowing you to filter your search by any number
of parameters, Farnell don't offer the option of shielded/un-shielded!

You're going to need a better description from the supplier, preferably
with a reference to an actual specification.

That would certainly help. It would also help if you gave some detail of
what you are doing - the length of the cable run and if it is going to
be in an (electrically) hostile environment, for example.

I have a number of fully screened Cat 5 patch cords here - free to a
good home. [1] But they are only 3m long, which may be a tad short for
your purposes!

[1] Genuine offer. Brand new and unused. Probably around 20 to 30
available, possibly more. Location: SW Essex/NE London. E-mail me if
interested:

cat5patch (at) tiscali (dot) co (dot) uk

--

Terry