Andrew Barss

Default Crosscut Sled - epiphany

Swingman wrote:
: "Jeffrey Thunder" wrote in message

: You don't understand. Yes, the resulting angle when you join
: the pieces is indeed 90 degrees. But the joint won't look right.

: Au contraire ... it is you who apparently "don't understand". This is
: woodworking, where the absoutes of mathematical theory are often of little,
: or no, consequence, because of the tolerances involved.

Horsefeathers. Try a mitre joint with one at 43 degrees, the other at 47
degrees. They'll be off so much they not only feel bad, they look bad.

: While I will grant you that the "length' of cut becomes an issue the _wider_
: the stock, you are apparently assuming that most miter joints cut this way
: are done in wide stock and the angular error is great enough. From practical
: experience, that is NOT the case in typical woodworking projects.

Try it with, say, a 1.5" wide frame.

: Once again, the difference in angle in a properly built sled is so small as
: to make joint length mismatch a none issue in the width of the stock likely
: to be used in the typical woodworking project that requires miter joints.

Nope.

: Now, the 'proof is in the pudding', so to speak. I am telling you that I use
: such a miter sled on the table saw and that the resultant joints "look" NO
: differently than when cut on my SCMS, and more importantly, ultimately fit
: better around the four corners. I routinely use the sled to make picture
: frames, and to frame glass table tops, with NO ill effects on appearance
: whatsoever.

Then you're either got a jig that is very accurately 45 degrees, or
else you're using extremely thin stock.

: Now, lest you think I am the only one ... one of the most asked about table
: saw miter sleds is the one used by David J. Marks on Wood Works, which is
: designed using this very principle.

Hunh? I'll bet you a ten dollar bill his jig is within less than half a
degree from perfectly 45/45.

Theory is fine, but practical application, particularly when using the
: tolerances involved in woodworking, is far less likely to stifel creative
: solutions in cutting tight joints.

: IOW, if you haven't used such a miter sled on a table saw, you need to
: loosen up and give it a try before embarking on a theoretical campaign to
: discount its usefulness for cutting miters in typical woodworking projects.

You need to measure your jig's deviance from 45 degrees befoe making such
pronouncements.

-- Andy Barss